What Questions to Ask Your Wedding Venue
(before you book!)
You said YES! Now that you’ve admired and showed off your ring, it’s time to start planning!
After deciding on your date, it’s time to think about what kind of wedding you want and where you want to host it.
Choosing the right venue can be kinda stressful as the one you choose, sets the vibe and theme for your day as well as a big portion of your budget. Here are some questions for you to ask while you’re touring around each venue ensuring it’s the best fit for you!
Before you even head on out to any venue, be sure that your venue has key items you want. Particularly make sure they have your have your date available! Also, know about how many guests you’ll wanting to invite. You want to be sure of these two important parts of planning as if a venue is too small (or too big even, then you’ll want to re-think your choice).
- Is my date available?
- How many guests can you accommodate?
- Is there a minimum guest count?
- Will there be a venue coordinator on premise for my wedding?
- How long do we get the space for?
- What time are we (bride, groom, bridal party) allowed to arrive?
- What time do we need to be off premise?
- What is included in the price?
- Do I need to purchase event insurance?
- Where do my guests park?
- Do you valet?
- If so, is that an extra fee?
- Can I bring in my own valet?
- Is there a bridal suite (separate rooms) for bride and bridesmaids and groom and groomsmen?
- What are the guidelines for vendor setup and teardown?
- Am I allowed to come in the day before to start decorating my reception?
- If yes, is there an extra fee involved and what is it?
- If you are thinking of having your ceremony at the same location as your reception, ask if they have set times for ceremonies. (Several locations I know of offer a 10AM or a 4PM ceremony time slots).
- May we have our ceremony rehearsal in the same spot where our ceremony?
- How many days before?
- Can we have it at the same as our ceremony?
- Is there an extra charge for the rehearsal?
- If I do host my ceremony here, who transitions the chairs from one area to another?
- Are tables, chairs, linens, plates, silverware included in the rental fee?
- What types of tables are available? Do I get to choose which shape I want?
- How many tables do each table hold?
- Do you have room layouts available and may I see them?
- What are your decor guidelines?
- Do you have furniture, cake stands, gift table available? Is this an extra charge?
- Is there an in-house caterer?
- Are we allowed to choose our own caterer?
- Are there kitchen facilities?
- Is my caterer allowed to access it? Is there an extra fee or is it included in the rental fee?
- Can you accommodate dietary restrictions?
- What is your policy on alcohol?
- What are the choices for beverages?
- What beverages are included with the catering fee?
- Can I have an open bar?
- If so, can I set a spending limit and what is offered to my guests?
- Do you have a minimum?
- What happens if it doesn’t get met?
- What is the cake cutting fee?
- Do you have a preferred vendor list?
- Do I have to hire exclusively off your list?
- Do my vendors have to show proof of liability insurance?
- When are my vendors allowed to arrive to start setting up?
- Are there restrictions that my vendors need to adhere to?
- Specifically photographer/video?
- What time does the music need to end?
- What time does the bar close?
- Can we do a send off?
- Are there any restrictions?
- Can we have a dance floor? Can we choose where it goes?
- Can we have a live band?
- What are the options of where the DJ can set up?
- Are there noise restrictions?
- Are we allowed to extend the party?
- If yes, what are the fees that are involved?
- How many restrooms are there? (if this is an out door facility, ask about port-a-potties)
- Is the venue handicap accessible?
The Finale: How to Secure your Venue
- How do I secure my date?
- How much is the deposit?
- When is the final balance due?
- What forms of payment do you take?
- Do you offer a discount for Monday – Friday or Sunday weddings?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- What other additional costs do we need to know about?
- Do we need any special permits?
Isn’t this a long list to scroll through on a screen! So, I created a printable download for you and it’s absolutely FREE! Click here to get your Free checklist.
If you found this wedding venue checklist helpful for planning your wedding, save it to your wedding Pinterest board NOW!